[cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Mar 29 21:35:18 EST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 08:19 pm, Greg London wrote:
> Well, by "proprietary fork" or "commercial fork"
> I mean someone is able to get more rights to the
> work than is available to the gift economy project.

The problem I see with this is that I do not see that "proprietary fork" is
equivalent to "commercial fork" and so I agree that a copyleft licence
legally prevents a "proprietary fork" all things being equal. (Please note
that some projects get around this though. I think MySQL might be an
interesting study in this light.) However, commercial "forks" abound.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+commercial&btnG=Google+Search

One person sells his version and another his.  You just have to compete
commercially on something other than a government granted monopoly. This is
entirely possible though. (Forgive me if I am wrong and this is a poor
example, but isn't fashion just such an arena? Do designers get to copyright
their fall lines?)

So, I took your A or B to mean one or the other of two things, not one or the
other description of the same thing. It seems you meant the latter and I do
not agree that that is correct as I have tried to explain.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145