[cc-licenses] questions about using CC licensed photos

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Mon Mar 27 04:09:40 EST 2006

I am not a lawyer, I am not CC, this is not legal advice.

Quoting Matt Vance <mvance at pobox.com>:

> >     Non, you forgot about Attribution-NoDerivs, which prevent you to use
> > them for a collage under any licence.
>
> Just to clarify, the poster will be more like a contact sheet than a
> collage. The only photos I might crop are those that have had borders
> added to them, plus none of the photos will overlap one another. If I
> refrain from cropping the NoDerivs licensed photos, would it then be
> okay to use those?

The poster is arguably a single work, so combining ND works to produce
it would
be breaking the ND license. You don't have to alter the works to produce a
derivative, including the works unaltered in a new work also makes that a
derivative.

- Rob.