[cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License: Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Fri Mar 24 05:34:24 EST 2006

Quoting Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi>:

> On Mar 24, 2006, at 07:50, DeepNet wrote:
>
>> - I want to protect myself from people submitting works
>> that they DO NOT have copyright ons (i.e. they submit
>> someone elses work, and accept the CC license anyway).
>
> Then you should have an additional agreement with contributors.

Make it part of the terms and conditions of acceptance of submitted work.

> This was in the 1.0 series and was removed. Putting it in the license
> is a bad idea, because you would yourself end up granting a warranty
> without consideration to random third parties.

There is a difference between offering a warranty (which was in 1.0 and
is a bad
idea) and requiring that licensors assert that they have sufficient rights to
license the material that they themselves are licensing (like the Open Gaming
License does). The licenses really should have this as it is legally pretty
redundant but it is a very useful thing to be able to point to when someone is
trying to open-source "Star Wars" :-)

> As usual: IANAL, TINLA.

Me too.

- Rob.