[cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License: Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Mar 24 03:10:47 EST 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 07:50, DeepNet wrote:

> - I want to protect myself from people submitting works
> that they DO NOT have copyright ons (i.e. they submit
> someone elses work, and accept the CC license anyway).

Then you should have an additional agreement with contributors.

> - In effect, I would like the license to say something like,
> "Licensor warrants, to the best of their ability, that they
> own the copyright to the Work, or otherise have rights to
> the Work to allow this license to be valid"...

This was in the 1.0 series and was removed. Putting it in the license
is a bad idea, because you would yourself end up granting a warranty
without consideration to random third parties.

> - I've read the CC license generated above, and I don't
> see anywhere where the Licensor gaurantees this kind
> of thing to the Licensee?

By design.

> Can/Should I add a second agreement they
> must also accept that simple states this as an extra thing?

Yes, you should do this separately.

As usual: IANAL, TINLA.

--
Henri Sivonen