[cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

Stefan Tiedje Stefan-Tiedje at addcom.de
Wed Mar 22 07:10:59 EST 2006

Sorry for chiming in late, but

Greg London wrote:
> Again, in my opinion, taking a work licensed NC and
> adding ShareAlike is pointless.

> Unless you expect fourth, fifth, and sixth generation
> derivatives of your work (or more), then Share Alike
> doesn't actually come into play. If you write it and
> license it CC-NC-SA, and then Alice makes a derivative,
> then Bob takes Alice's vesion and makes his derivative,
> and Charlie takes Bob's work and makes a derivitiave of that,
> then Share Alike may make a difference.

You forgot, that Alice could license it under BY or even PD, then Bob
takes Alices and uses it commercially which would be the opposite of the
original intention of the creator.

You're prooving yourself, that CC-NC-SA makes a lot of sense.
I think its more the other way around, to have a NC clause without SA is
really pointless, then yopu could as well skip the NC part, because it
would work only for the first generation.

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]