[cc-licenses] Changing the CC-license

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sat Mar 18 11:44:55 EST 2006

>> You may change the license, but you may not call it a CC-license if you
>> do.
>
> Really? The licenses seem to be themselves licensed using a BY
> license, if the website is any indication. I don't see anything in
> those terms about making any changes clear in the derivative work or
> not utilizing titles or terminology of the original work.
>
> If you make a derivative work, are you required by the terms of the
> license to rename/retitle it?

You can make a derivative license. The license on the license allows
for that. That part is under copyright law.

But it is trademark law that prohibits you from using the trademark
"Creative Commons" in identifying your derived license as a CC license.

So, yes, you will have to call it something else.

Greg
--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/