[cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Mar 10 06:14:49 EST 2006

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:07:39 -0800
"Matt Farley" <mfarley at sac-yolomvcd.com> wrote:
> How are we supposed to credit the author when we're
> embedding/editing part of the image to fit in a website
> template or other document? I mean if I want use your
> photos as a backdrop for a sleek web interface -- it's not
> very user-friendly to slap "THE PHOTO IN THE BACKGROUND
> HERE -> WAS MADE BY BIGBOB22"
>
> Further -- I didn't see any credit given to any
> photographers in the aforementioned sites?

I think something is missing somewhere. I've noticed this
problem on Wikipedia -- after the Gnu FDL, the "By-SA" and
"By" licenses are the most popular for photos in Wikimedia
Commons -- but an awful lot of them don't seem to include an
attribution notice.  I think attribution is great, but it's
hard to do if the author doesn't tell you who they are!

Cheers,
Terry