[cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses

Adam Fields cc-licenses345982 at aquick.org
Thu Mar 9 20:05:39 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:07:39PM -0800, Matt Farley wrote:
> I have a question about the photos in the /creativecommons/ section. I've seen a few places that stated their photos came from the CCL section on Flickr -- I hadn't heard of this and excitedly checked it out -- as I'm always looking for good photos to use in web design.
>
> >From what I could gather from reading about the licenses at www.flickr.com/creativecommons/, all photos on there are released with a (BY / Attribution) clause -- which states that you can use the photo, if you give the author credit.

Um, no. Each picture has its own license, chosen by the
photographer. Some of them are BY, but many are not.

> How are we supposed to credit the author when we're embedding/editing part of the image to fit in a website template or other document? I mean if I want use your photos as a backdrop for a sleek web interface -- it's not very user-friendly to slap "THE PHOTO IN THE BACKGROUND HERE -> WAS MADE BY BIGBOB22"

I believe credit in the comments of the page, or wherever the
copyright for the page is are both acceptable for this.

But that my non-lawyer belief.

> Further -- I didn't see any credit given to any photographers in the aforementioned sites?
>
> Am I missing something?

Setting aside the special deal that flickr has (which is in its terms
of service), sure there's credit - there's a username under each
photo. Or were you talking about something else?

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience