[cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses

Matt Farley mfarley at sac-yolomvcd.com
Thu Mar 9 17:07:39 EST 2006

I have a question about the photos in the /creativecommons/ section. I've seen a few places that stated their photos came from the CCL section on Flickr -- I hadn't heard of this and excitedly checked it out -- as I'm always looking for good photos to use in web design.

>From what I could gather from reading about the licenses at www.flickr.com/creativecommons/, all photos on there are released with a (BY / Attribution) clause -- which states that you can use the photo, if you give the author credit.

How are we supposed to credit the author when we're embedding/editing part of the image to fit in a website template or other document? I mean if I want use your photos as a backdrop for a sleek web interface -- it's not very user-friendly to slap "THE PHOTO IN THE BACKGROUND HERE -> WAS MADE BY BIGBOB22"

Further -- I didn't see any credit given to any photographers in the aforementioned sites?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
-Matt