[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

Mia Garlick mia at creativecommons.org
Wed Mar 8 15:05:27 EST 2006

so in this scenario, if a group of individuals (eligible NC-users
under the guidelines) wanted to demo CC music & there was no money
changing hands or ads used in ways discussed in the guidelines, then
it would permissible for them to direct a store to make its equipment
available for this purpose. use of a for-profit shops facilities to
do this would also be permitted because the shop would be making the
use at the direction of an allowable NC user.

if one of the individuals owned the shop or had some financial
interest in the service provider/shop/company that was hosting the
demo then that would start to run afoul of the guidelines and be a
commercial use on the reasoning that the individual is engineering
this as an agent for the for-profit enterprise to engender goodwill
(and thus ultimately money) for the store/company.

of course the other solution to this problem as terry indicated would
be for the group/shop/company to only use CC licensed music without
an NC limitation.