[cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue Mar 7 17:45:55 EST 2006

> Greg, you do not specifically address his point though.
> I think from what you are saying, you would tell him to
> just use BY-NC and he will get the same bang for the
> buck as BY-NC-SA, the thing is, he is considering only
> BY-NC-ND or BY-NC-SA.

And I'm saying CC-BY-NC and CC-BY-NC-SA are
effectively the same, but the "SA" is just extra
baggage. And it dilutes the meaning of share alike.
CC-BY-NC and CC-BY-NC-SA are both market economy licenses,
they both retain a commercial advantage tot he original
creator, and neither will ever be the seed for any
gift economy.

How the licenses work legally may be different,
but out in the wild, the way people use NC and NC-SA
will be essentially the same.

If someone can show me an example of a NC-SA gift economy,
then I'll change my tune, but until then, I see no
reason to believe the public will treat NC-SA any
different than NC.

The author may consider them different.
But I don't think the public does.

Greg
--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/