[cc-licenses] Extending CC License

Brian Erdelyi brian_erdelyi at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 15:05:12 EST 2006

Terry,

Indeed, the terms I summarized may be harmful.  I'm not encouraging the use of such terms, rather, users of software with these terms need more awareness.  These terms do exist.

As you pointed out, I am trying to *document* or *describe* existing end user license agreements to provide consumer awareness when they contain terms that impact control over the user's experience, privacy and system security.  I'm not judging whether the terms are legal, enforcable or appropriate... I'm merely acknowledging that these potentially harmful terms exist and consumers need help identifying them.  Once identified, other advocacy groups can advise and recommend what terms to accept or not.

Once in a system readable format (RDF/XML) there can be additional tools developed to notify, warn and advise users about the license.

So, it seems I should be focusing on the meta-data schema and a CC-like deed.

How is the CC meta-data extended to describe these additional characteristics of existing software?

Brian