[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Mar 7 11:41:39 EST 2006

> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 12:16 am, Adam Fields wrote:
>> What about a license that allows
>> free NC uses, but also prevents the copyright holder from commercial
>> use as well? I don't know if it really makes sense, but it seems to me
>> that releasing something under such a license would be the moral
>> equivalent of forming a non-profit corp. You're saying - "hey, world,
>> do what you want, non-commercially, and in exchange for your
>> contributions, know that no one is ever going to put this to
>> commercial use, myself included".

IANAL to say the least but I don't see how this could be accomplished
for the original work without the copyright holder forfeiting rights to
some intermediary.

In any case by-nc[-sa] accomplishes this, abut only for derivative
works.  If I publish a work and you modify it, both under by-nc[-sa],
neither of us can make commercial use of the your or subsequent derivatives.

--
   Mike Linksvayer
   http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21