[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue Mar 7 08:37:09 EST 2006

> But I did want to comment on this. What about a license that allows
> free NC uses, but also prevents the copyright holder from commercial
> use as well? I don't know if it really makes sense, but it seems to me
> that releasing something under such a license would be the moral
> equivalent of forming a non-profit corp. You're saying - "hey, world,
> do what you want, non-commercially, and in exchange for your
> contributions, know that no one is ever going to put this to
> commercial use, myself included".

I don't know if this is relevant, but
please see "Argumentum ad lazarum"
http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#lazarum

Money is not inherently evil, so prohibiting it
doesn't actually solve any problem. And by prohibiting
commercial use of a Free work, you prohibit companies
such as Red Hat from using money as a way to expand
distribution, advertising, and awareness.

Greg
--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/