[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Tue Mar 7 04:38:56 EST 2006

Quoting Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 at aquick.org>:

> But I did want to comment on this. What about a license that allows
> free NC uses, but also prevents the copyright holder from commercial
> use as well? I don't know if it really makes sense, but it seems to me
> that releasing something under such a license would be the moral
> equivalent of forming a non-profit corp. You're saying - "hey, world,
> do what you want, non-commercially, and in exchange for your
> contributions, know that no one is ever going to put this to
> commercial use, myself included".

I agree with the poster who said that it doesn't make sense for people to deny
themselves their own rights in this way.

But an equivalent scenario for levelling the playing field for everyone
who uses
the work including the original author is copyright assignment to a trusted
nonprofit organization. Think of the FSF and GNU.

I wouldn't recommend a nonprofit equivalent of GNU, though, as it doesn't make
sense to deny commercial use of work as a matter of principle (ipods to play
that NC content on will still cost money for example).

- Rob.