[cc-licenses] format-specific search (was Re: Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken")

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Mon Mar 6 19:47:45 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 13:55 -0800, Markus Sandy wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> >Sometimes I wonder if there is a deliberate attempt to make finding content by
> >licence and format hard to impossible. (Note, I oftem imagine conspiracy
> >theories which I then discount.)

Format-specific search is just harder than text search.  How many years
did it take for useful Google image search to appear after they already
had a great general web search?  Believe me, we're encouraging anyone
who will listen at the relevant players to add CC features to image and
other format-specific searches.

> and hard to use ...
>
> a case in point: flickr
>
> cc search not exactly easy to find
>
> and
>
> no rss feed or sideshow feature on CC searches as there are with regular
> tag searches

FWIW Flickr promises improved CC features this year:
http://blog.flickr.com/flickrblog/2005/12/creative_common.html

--
  Mike Linksvayer
  http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21