[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Mar 6 16:35:53 EST 2006

From a practical standpoint, the problem I often have with CC licenced works
if finding what I want. I have not figured out a good way to use google or
the other engines for this.

Lets say I am looking for rock music with a BY or BY-SA licence. What I often
find is links to sites where the pages/discussion are BY-SA but the music
linked to carries a traditional all rights reserved type of copyright. I have
wasted more time than I care to compute/remember with that particular
problem.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a deliberate attempt to make finding content by
licence and format hard to impossible. (Note, I oftem imagine conspiracy
theories which I then discount.)

On Monday 06 March 2006 02:38 pm, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2006, at 18:13, Mia Garlick wrote:
> > so people criticising CC for a vague definition of NonCommercial is
> > wearing a little thin with me.

Mia, your pdf was indeed helpful and shed new light for me. However, word of
that has not spread widely. Also, has it been decided yet as to whether it is
definitive?

Along the same lines, were the licenses written with this in mind, or is this
an after the fact consensus as to how things ought to be?

> I mentioned the guidelines in a commend on the Rumori blog entry that
> linked to the original post.
>
> > so far there have been 2 comments on these.  if you think the
> > definition is too vague & CC should do something to clarify it -
> > let's discuss these guidelines!!!

OK, I never before understood that a for profit could never properly use an NC
work. Since I read the pdf, I cannot tell you how many people I have come
across who see things as I did. (oops, responding in the wrong post.)

> The guidelines are great, and you guys really should declare them
> final as soon as possible. But Alex Bosworth doesn't seem to know
> about them (perhaps Lessig didn't mention them in response to his
> question?).
>
> - Rob.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145