[cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

James Grimmelmann james at grimmelmann.net
Sat Dec 2 10:12:32 EST 2006

Greg London wrote:
>> those users will probably be scared by the idea of taking a file
>> in a (clean) format and convert it to another (DRMed) format in
>> order to load it on their DRM-only player.
>> As long as their freedoms are not reduced by the application of
>> DRM being made by someone else, why not allow this scenario?
>
> If the DRM'ed file allows the exact same rights as the non-DRM'ed
> file, fine. If the DRM is applied simply to allow the rights to
> be exercised on a platform, and you can copy, derive, and distribute
> that DRM'ed file, then that form of DRM isn't a problem.

This analysis skips over platforms that don't allow copying-out.  There,
the DRM allows some rights to be exercised on the platform (more than
could be exercise without it), but not all.

> I think the wording of the license only disallowes DRM that actually
> restricts the rights to work, and then only applies to a distributed
> work.

"When You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work, You may not impose any technological
measures on the Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the
Work from You to exercise the right granted to them under the License."

James