[cc-licenses] Creative Commons & Copyleft question?

Sincaglia, Nicolas nsincaglia at musicnow.com
Tue Aug 29 00:08:38 EDT 2006

CC licenses are built on top of existing copyright law. So one needs to
look to copyright law resources to define collective works and
derivative works. If it still does not seem clear, well....that is why
we have lawyers. :-)

DERIVATIVE WORK - A work based upon one or more preexisting works, such
as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization,
motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment,
condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast,
transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions,
annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole,
represent an original work of authorship, is a 'derivative work'. 17
U.S.C.

Based on the above definition, I don't think aggregations are considered
derivatives.

Nick