[cc-licenses] Creative Commons & Copyleft question?

Peter Brink peter.brink at brinkdata.se
Mon Aug 28 15:24:57 EDT 2006

Charles Iliya Krempeaux skrev:
> Hello,
>
> Here's something I found where someone had similar thoughts to what I was
> thinking...
>
> http://systemed.net/blog/entry060311122655.html

This blogger should do some reading on copyright law... Data, as well as
ideas, methods, processes and other system of ideas, cannot be copyright
protected as such. In the European Union we have a kind of investment
protection for databases, but that protection does not cover individual
pieces of data, it only protects against a "permanent or temporary
transfer of all or a substantial part of the contents of a database".

The geodata being discussed on the blog are not, as far as I can see, an
intellectual property - ergo the effects described does not occur.

/Peter Brink