[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Remove the TPM-ban

Greg London teloscorbin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 10:11:20 EDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2006, at 19:40, Greg London wrote:
>
> > I think the TPM and DRM clauses are only needed
> > in the ShareAlike license, since that's the only license
> > that is intended to protect a project from proprietary
> > forking and other gambits.
>
> The CC licenses all allow noncommercial distribution of unmodified
> works. DRM can be used to prevent this. But BY and BY-NC derivatives
> should probably allow DRM, otherwise they are reserving more rights
> than they claim to.

But all licenses other than ShareAlike allow
a work to be put under a more restrictive license.
You could concievably roll the work into an
All Rights Reserved license as long as you don't
violate the original license yourself.

And only ShareAlike and CC-BY are Gift Economy
licenses. All other licenses are really Market Economy
licences, and I'm not so concerned about protecting
someone's FreeSamples stuff as I am concerned
about protecting some group's FLOSS project.

Greg