[cc-licenses] CC 3 and Circumvention [Was Re: Version 3.0 - Public Discussion]

Greg London teloscorbin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:22:06 EDT 2006

On 8/15/06, Peter Brink <peter.brink at brinkdata.se> wrote:
> Such a provision already exist, in the new Generic 3.0 license it is
> expressed as "[y]ou may not impose any technological measures on the
> Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
> exercise their rights granted under the License."

But that doesn't authorize circumvention,
it says you can use DRM, but only if you
use a "dummy" DRM that doesn't actually
restrict any rights. And I think that only works
if you take a broad interpretaion of that clause.

I mentioned earlier that a narrow interpretation
might be "We've created a DRM version of the file
that doesn't allow you to copy or distribute, but
that doesn't prohibite you from exercising the rights
of the work on the original work."