[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sun Aug 13 10:06:51 EDT 2006

> So, I'm confused why it has to be possible to copy on the particular
> hardware or platform. Typically, that's not in the distributor's
> control, but the hardware manufacturer's.

Better example:

I'm pretty sure that you can't use an iPod to edit
music and create derivative works. In that case, it isnt
DRM or Technical Protection Measures that prevent exercising
the right to create derivative works. No one can create
derivatives because of the design of the hardware.

But if the platform supports editing the work,
then DRM and TPM and the DMCA cannot be used
to prevent someone from editing a FLOSS work
on that platform.

MinorEvilMinion Corp cannot convert a FLOSS work
to play on a hardware platform and use DRM to
prevent editing if the platform supports editing.

Is that more clear?

--
Wikipedia and the Great Sneetches War
http://www.somerightsreserved.org