[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Aug 13 09:18:33 EDT 2006

On Saturday 12 August 2006 08:28 pm, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-08 at 18:15 -0400, Greg London
>
> > If DRM-Dave has a company that makes DRM players,
> > and Dave goes out and converts some ShareAlike work
> > to be DRM'ed so it plays on his hardware, then Dave
> > must do so in such a way that Share-Alike-Sam can
> > copy, distribute, and create derivative works, of
> > that same work, on that same piece of hardware.
>
> You make the mistake of assuming that it's Dave who wants to convert the
> ShareAlike work. It could very well be a well-meaning redistributor --
> OpSound, the Internet Archive, Google Video -- wishing to comply with
> the terms of the license, yet also to reach a broad audience.
>
> I love Creative Commons licensed media. I really do. But let us not fool
> ourselves into thinking that the entertainment industry is drooling to
> put Free Content onto their DRM-encumbered media players, held back only
> by the noble powers of the anti-DRM clause. Sony has a huge catalogue of
> music, video, and games -- they do not in any way need or want our Free
> Content.
>
> The people who will want or need to distribute works through
> DRM-entangled channels will not be villains -- they will be friends of
> Free Content, trying to share with others. Let's not demonize them.
>
> > If a company is allowed to pull a work into DRM,
> > and not allow people to copy, distribute, and
> > create derivatives of that work on that DRM
> > hardware, then you're allowing proprietary forks
> > through technical measures.
>
> So, I'm confused why it has to be possible to copy on the particular
> hardware or platform. Typically, that's not in the distributor's
> control, but the hardware manufacturer's.

Well, I for one am ok with my works not being available on platforms which do
not respect my rights. And (I hate to sound like a broken record) those who
choose such platforms injure me in some way due to network effects.

My main concern is with this is the promotion of the interests of those
interested in Freedom. I in no way want to set out to intentionally harm
others, but I do not want to hurt the interests of those working for Freedom
in order to accomodate those who carelessly, or intentionally,  choose
platforms that are antagonistic to Freedom.

So, what about the requirement for a Free way to convert non-encumbered
content to DRM encumbered content for the platform, available on a Free
platform, with a Free toolchain plus parallel distribution, plus, if code is
covered, equivalent code that is fully and equally functional on a Free
platform with a Free toolchain, etc?

> ~Evan

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145