[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Sat Aug 12 17:44:49 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-08 at 15:28 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
> If someone only has an MP3 player with
> DRM on it they have worse problems than not being able to use CC-
> licensed works.

They definitely do. But we can't solve any of those person's other
problems.

The question is really where our control point is. Creative Commons, and
this mailing list, don't have direct control over what types of DRM are
created, what computers, portable devices, and entertainment centres
people buy. Creative Commons does have control over the terms of the
licenses.

So, if we want to let someone with a DRM-required player listen to Free
music, we can waste a lot of time enjoining them to send letters to
their congressperson or member of Parliament, or telling them to go
spend another $250 on another player, or break the (unjust) law and do
some circumvention process.

OR, we can just let them listen to the damn music on their player.

~Evan