[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Paul Keller paul at waag.org
Sat Aug 12 06:39:03 EDT 2006

the pace of discussions on this list is almost impossible to keep up,
so please allow me to react to something that was mentioned a couple
of posts back (see below)

On Aug 11, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Luis Villa wrote:

> On 8/11/06, Paul Keller <paul at waag.org> wrote:

>>> I don't follow that. Can you unpack that a bit?
>>> I'm not sure I understand how.
>>
>> i dont get this either.  at least my ipod plays mp3s just fine no
>> need to drm stuff to play on my ipod.... only situation where drm/tpm
>> is required is when i want to sell something through the ITMS. why
>> should i allow others to sell stuff i release under a CC license
>> through the ITMS?
>
> If you don't want them to sell your content, that's what NC is for,
> and is not the purpose of a DRM clause. Please keep the two issues
> (DRM and NC) separate- this discussion is muddled enough as is.

this was not really the point i was trying to make here. the point is
why should someone be allowed to put arbitrary restrictions on my
work when i chose not to do that. the only reason i can see is the
one brought forward by ewan when you want to distribute on a DRM-only
platform. i personally would not want my work to end up in some
vendor controlled DRM system but personal tastes might differ here.
evan uses the PSP exampe (which i still think in the world of free
content is marginal at best) to argue for parallel redistribution.
this would indeed solve the (marginal) PSP problem, but it would also
allow every other downstream user to apply DRM in all other scenarios
on all other platforms that do not require DRM. while i might
consider giving someone permission to use my work in an interesting
PSP game or whatever els you can put on those things, i definitely do
not want others to needlessly apply limiting DRM to my works. exactly
this would also be allowed by the parallel redistribution clause, and
that is why i think asking for permission it the better approach to
these exceptional scenarios.

all the best,
paul
--
waag society | nieuwmarkt 4 | NL - 1012 CR amsterdam
e: paul at waag.org | t: +31 20 557 9898 | f: +31 20 557 9880