[cc-licenses] honest mistake leading to termination

wiki_tomos at inter7.jp wiki_tomos at inter7.jp
Sat Aug 12 05:31:21 EDT 2006

Termination

This is not specific to the Generic 3.0 license.

I have seen many people making use of others'
license works, and came to believe that understanding
and properly following a license is no easy task.

And if "any breach," even an inadvertent mistake
that is quickly retracted or corrected, will cause
"atomatic termination," that is not quite user-friendly.

The ongoing drafting of GPL v.3 includes a proposed
change in its condition for termination. It tries to
be less harsh on violations.

See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html (current version)
and
http://gplv3.fsf.org/gpl-draft-2006-07-27.html (draft for
the upcoming version 3).

Creative Commons encompass really a wide range of
works and usage environments compared to a software
license such as GPL, I think. In a new environment,
there might be some uncertainty regarding what
constitutes license compliance and what constitutes
license violation, even for those who understand
complex copyright and other laws, and read
license word to word. An honest mistake, some of
them corrected quickly, under that kind of uncertainty
should be able to keep licensee status in my opinion.

Tomos