[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Fri Aug 11 22:56:39 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-08 at 19:04 -0500, Terry Hancock wrote:

> Of course, this is somewhat moot. Why are they using a CC license for
> software?  Use the GPL instead, it's much more clear cut on this issue.

The example this started with actually had a game that included
by-2.0-licensed media, but that detail seems to have gotten lost.

There are already game projects that are using CC licenses for level
designs, interstitial video, graphics, and audio, although the game
engine itself uses the GPL or something similarly program-oriented.

> >  You can play stuff on your DRM hardware, but you cannot be allowed to
> >  use that DRM barrier as a way to circumvent the requirement that you
> >  share your derivatives with the original project.
>
> I for one agree that should be the goal.

I agree too (although I think the needs of other recipients, besides the
original project, are important too). I also think parallel distribution
meets this goal.

~Evan