[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Fri Aug 11 12:24:47 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-08 at 17:02 +0100, rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> As long as people can get access to the other format version, they  can
> recover
> their freedom, this is true.

Great. I'm glad you grok that.

> But this supports DRM, pushes access to freedom
> away from the very devices we're pleading for DRM in the name of, and we'd
> better hope that archive.org doesn't run out of money any time soon.

I don't think it "supports" DRM. It makes a realistic accommodation that
allows people who are using DRM-required hardware and software platforms
to participate in some small way in the Free Culture movement, without
taking away their rights to copy, modify, and distribute.

Creative Commons is not dogmatic; it is pragmatic. That's why we have
NC, ND, Sampling, and what-have-you licenses. Forbidding thousands or
millions of people from experiencing Open Content because they bought
the wrong computer or the wrong music player doesn't help creators,
listeners, or the Free Culture movement.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou -- http://evan.prodromou.name/

"By God! I will accept nothing which all cannot have their counterpart
of on the same terms." -- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"