[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Paul Keller paul at waag.org
Thu Aug 10 08:33:50 EDT 2006

Hey Mia,

thanks a lot for posting this and doing such an excellent summary of
the previous discussions. i have one small question at the moment, is
there a deadline for the public discussion period or will it go on as
long as necessary?

all the best from amsterdam,
paul

On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:21 PM, Mia Garlick wrote:

> # Public Discussion of Version 3.0 Launched:
>
> As was mentioned a little while ago (http://lists.ibiblio.org/
> pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-May/003557.html), we are looking to move
> ahead with versioning the CC licenses up to version 3.0 to improve
> the clarity of the terms of the licenses and to address some
> concerns of one of our first and very prominent license adopters —
> MIT, with their OpenCourseWare project (http://ocw.mit.edu/), and
> to also take on board the concerns of the Debian group about the
> clarity of some provisions of our licenses.
>
> # New US and "generic" license
>
> Another big feature of version 3.0 is that we will be spinning off
> what has been called the "generic" license to now be the US license
> and have crafted a new "generic" license that is based on the
> language of international IP treaties and takes effect according to
> the national implementation of those treaties.  This may only be
> something that gets IP lawyers excited but I thought it might be
> good to share this draft with the community as well in order to
> ensure full transparency and in case people were interested and/or
> had any comments.
>
> # Anti-DRM language - possible parallel distribution language
>
> Finally, there has been much discussion - preparatory to releasing
> these drafts to the public - about whether to amend the CC licenses
> to include a "parallel distribution" amendment to the existing
> "anti-DRM" (or more correctly an "anti-TPM" (technological
> protection measures)) clause of the CC licenses.  As you probably
> now, the existing clause of the Creative Commons licenses states that:
>
> "You [being the licensee, not the licensor] may not distribute,
> publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform
> the Work with any technological measures that control access or use
> of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License
> Agreement."
>
> As you can see from the drafts below, version 3.0 includes
> amendments designed to make this language clearer.  But there are
> some in the Debian community that feel that this renders the CC
> licenses inconsistent with the Debian Free Software Guidelines
> (http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines) (although the
> group has deemed the FDL, which has similar if not stronger "anti-
> DRM" language in it, DFSG-free http://www.debian.org/News/
> 2006/20060316) and that if CC introduces parallel distribution
> language we could achieve both freedom of content and freedom to
> code for open and closed systems (see this discussion for an
> explanation of the reasoning behind allowing TPMs on free content:
> http://evan.prodromou.name/Free_content_and_DRM). The parallel
> distribution provision essentially says that a licensee can apply a
> technological protection measure to content only if they also
> release the content in an unrestricted format.
>
> However, our international affiliates (http://creativecommons.org/
> [...]

waag society | nieuwmarkt 4 | NL - 1012 CR amsterdam
e: paul at waag.org | t: +31 20 557 9898 | f: +31 20 557 9880