[cc-licenses] Understanding the 2.5 ShareAlike license

Jessica Rasku jrasku at armispiansystems.ca
Tue Dec 13 21:44:38 EST 2005

Andrew MacNeill wrote:
> On 12/13/05, Andrew MacNeill <akselsoft at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey all - my podcast show is cc'd with a
>>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/
>>
>>I had someone ask me "can I burn this to CD and sell the CDs?"

Brief answer is Yes.

>>And I was unsure of how to answer.
>>
>>They were also asking about the legitimacy of offering to sell the
>>downloads (even though it's available for free on my site)

Again the answer is yes.  (get legal advice if you want to be sure)

>>The license says:
>>You are free:
>>
>>    * to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
>>    * to make derivative works
>>    * to make commercial use of the work
>>

>>but then says
>>If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute
>>the resulting work only under a license identical to this one.

It is talking about licensing not distribution.  You are free to change
distribution method at any time unless it's specificially prohibited (I
don't believe that any cc license involves that).

>>So how would one make commercial use of the license?

Just go and do it.  I would like to make use of an image from a video on
the creativecommons.ca (I think) site, I need to find what the license
for that video is, I also want to use the text of it as well.  I want to
make T-Shirts.  As I understand it, (and this is sketchy territory) if I
do so at cost to myself, then it's not considered commercial use.  If I
were to donate the proceeds again not comercial use.  But if I sold the
T-Shirts that cost me $5.00 at $20.00 and kept all the money it would be
commercial use.  I had to read the nc (I believe that's the code) legal
license to find this out, and it's worth doing before putting your work
out there.

>>Can anyone help explain that to mee?

I hope that helps you.  I'm new to this, so I may be way off base.

							Jessica