Question: What does sublicense mean?

Peter Brink peter.brink at brinkdata.se
Wed Apr 6 10:22:21 EDT 2005

drew Roberts skrev:

> "
> : a license granted by a licensee that grants some or all of the rights (as to
> a patent) acquired under the original license"
>
> Fine, but in context, doesn't the "all of the rights" part happen
> automatically as part of the original license?

Yes - that is covered by the License Grant (item 3 in the license).

> If I release a work CC BY, the people who get the work and the rights from me
> cannot give the work to others with those same rights? That makes no sense.

They cannot both distribute a work under a) the same license *and* b)
sublicense the work under different terms.

When you distribute a work licensed under a CC license you are *not*
issuing a new license, you are merely making the work available under
the very same license you yourself has made use of.

When you distribute a derivative work you do issue a new license.

/Peter Brink