Attribution discussion (was Re: Attribution War)

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Sat May 29 08:36:20 EDT 2004

In by-sa-2.0:

4a allows the removal of references to the author from a
collective/derivative work if the licensor requires it:

"...upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable,
remove from the Collective Work any reference to such Licensor or the
Original Author..."

But 4c requires that the licensor be acknowledged appropriately for the
medium as well as copyright notices being given:

"You must [...] give the Original Author credit reasonable to the
medium or means You are utilizing by conveying the name [of the
original author] [...] at a minimum such credit will appear where any
other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as
prominent as such other comparable authorship credit"

I assume that a credit is different from putting someone's name on the
cover of a book. Which would explain Vriginia Andrews. :-)

I note that in either case the copyright statement must remain intact.

In either case (with or without this clause of 4a being used) credit
and the copyright will always remain in the small print of the credits
or legal section of a work. Is this correct?

I.E. without the removal clause of 4a, the author is requesting that
their name appear somewhere like the cover or index (for book or CD),
in the title page (book), in the start credits (for film or TV), on the
posters (events, film), or some similar high-profile location. Whereas
with the removal clause they are not requiring such high-profile
acknowledgement, but 4c means that they still get mentioned in the end
credits or the small print. Is this correct?

This is clear in the legalese (IANAL), but I think it might end up as a
FAQ ("I have to remove all reference, but I have to put their name in!
Which is it?")...

- Rob.