In Sync

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Thu May 27 05:22:28 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 11:06PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org> wrote:

>Glenn Otis Brown wrote:
>> whoa -- that's a cool idea. very cool. then people can home-compile the
>> videos without copyright worry. really there's some serious promise
>> there for a number of applications.
>
>Also known as "client side remixing."  Why advanced playlists (like
>SMIL) that facilitate synchronizing media by reference are
>exciting/important.

IIRC there are already moves afoot to stop this by disallowing simultaneous playing of two different licensed audio streams (does anyone have a URL or did I dream it? :-) ). This can be enforced contractually in DRM-lockin software (eg iTunes) even if it remained legally unenforcable.

Remember, Kids - DRM is there to protect *your* rights.

- Rob.