Concerns about CC licenses

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Wed May 19 17:51:27 EDT 2004

    GL> If there are any "compliance" issues around CC-NC works, my
    GL> guess is that at some point a case will come up where the
    GL> original author mistakenly used CC-NC on a collaborative work,
    GL> accepted contributions from other people, and attempted to
    GL> retain a monopoly on the commercial rights to the
    GL> collaborative work.

I agree with everything you wrote. I think the main problems with
using Creative Commons licenses are with hard-to-define gray areas,
namely:

        1) What is a derivative work?
        2) What is a commercial use?

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but I think the first
one has at least some kind of definition in copyright law and
precedent. I don't know how much the second one does.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/