NonCommercial and recovering costs

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Thu Jun 24 13:20:28 EDT 2004

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> Bottom line: you can do almost anything you like with a CC licensed
> work, provided you don't redistribute it except under the terms of the
> license.

I realize that. I'm just wondering if paying someone to do the
reproduction or distribution would count as NonCommercial use on their part.

Another, weirder example: I pay a Web presence provider for a Web site,
onto which I've put works under a *-nc-* license. Is the presence
provider making money off this distribution? Yes. Are they doing it
primarily for commercial advantage? Yes.

Are they involved in the distribution to the point where they're a party
to the license? _That_ I don't know.

~ESP