Creative Commons Attribution license element

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 8 13:05:26 EDT 2004

On 2004-06-08 17:06:25 +0100 Evan Prodromou <evan at debian.org> wrote:

> Second, let me note how poorly timed the analysis is. Creative Commons
> revised their suite of licenses this year (from 1.0 to 2.0), and this
> list was asked to provide comment:
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/01/msg00241.html

You seem to get the basics of these problems in reply to that. Were
they taken into consideration by CC?

It may be "poorly timed" but at least a debian user helped to make it
happen. Please praise Ben Francis and give him due credit for getting
your attention with
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2004-June/000909.html

Equally, let us note that a debian *developer* subscribed to
cc-discuss solicited the views of debian-legal, but did not make sure
our views were clearly known to them. Then again, we're all volunteers
in debian AFAIK, so let's not throw accusations of unprofessional
conduct around.

> [...] As far as I know, the above-mentioned analysis
> wasn't forwarded to Creative Commons before today. [...]

I'm sorry it didn't happen sooner, but I can only do so much at once
and I just assumed that you reported it back to them.

> So, that's my feedback. I'd like to know what can be done to amend the
> analysis and re-open this license (as well as Attribution 2.0,
> ShareAlike 1.0, and Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 and 2.0) for
> consideration.

Convince enough people that the summary is updated. I still think it
won't be DFSG-free until the "author name purging" part is fixed, so
is there much point? I need to think about your trademark comments
when it's not so hot here.

> On the Creative Commons side, I'd wonder what opportunity there is to
> get Debian's very tardy comments and critiques applied to new versions
> of the CC licenses.

The comments are not tardy, it's just that they don't seem to have got
to cc-discuss before. I assumed that you would be doing that
reporting, in the same way that maintainers asking debian-legal
usually report results to the upstream authors if required. Maybe I
misjudged it, but no-one's dead yet AFAIK, so no need to grieve.

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.