The Beeb and CC

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue Jun 8 13:50:21 EDT 2004

> Ben Francis <lists at hippygeek.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>If CC are making a concious decision NOT to make the licenses DFSG-free
>>and have a good reason for doing so,

Wildly unsubstantiated conjecture follows:

I believe Creative Commons was started by Lessig and Eldred
after they lost the lawsuit against the government challenging
the constitutionality of the Copyright Term Extension Act
and losing. (Eldred v. Ashcroft)

Since they failed to affect the law in the courts,
they took the approach of affecting behaviour through
Creative Commons and its new licensing model.

So, Free-ness wasn't an important factor for them or
the licenses they created. They wanted licenses that
would demonstrate that it would be possible to make
money without a Borg-like mentality to copyright.

I don't think it was a conscious decision to be
incompatible with Free licenses or with the OSD.

I think it was a conscious decision to create licenses
that could replace "All Rights Reserved" with
"Some Rights Reserved" so that authors and artists
could demonstrate that giving up some copyrights would
actually improve their bottom line.

--
"Impatient Perl" => Perl geek in about a week.
http://www.greglondon.com/iperl/index.html