The Beeb and CC

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 11:46:36 EDT 2004

Evan Prodromou wrote

>I'll jump in on the
>Debian side and try to get this straight, though.

That would be great! I would be very interested what the official
position is. My view of Creative Commons was slightly tainted when I
read that email and a couple of blog entries on the topic by a friend.

If CC are making a concious decision NOT to make the licenses DFSG-free
and have a good reason for doing so, I'd like to hear their reason and
would respect their decision. But if there's no good reason why they
couldn't be DFSG-free and they simply don't know about it yet I think it
would be worth while altering them to meet the guidelines. Perhaps
you're right and some of the licenses already are DFSG-free. Please do
report back your findings! I'm afraid I'm a little out of my depth for
any more constructive discussion on the topic, I shy away from the
complicated legal details!

If you're interested in the blog entries I'm talking about:

A problem with the CC2.0 licenses at the end of 4a (Restrictions):

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2004-5.html#cc2nonfree@2004-5.mjr.dsl.pipex.com
An example of why this is a problem:

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2004-5.html#cc20-example@2004-5.mjr.dsl.pipex.com

Best Regards