The Beeb and CC

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Jun 7 21:47:28 EDT 2004

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> Does anyone know if the BBC will use a real, honest-to-goodness
> Creative Commons license? Or will they be creating Yet Another Content
> License?

My impression from what I've read so far about the BBC Creative Archive
is that the BBC's works were paid for by UK TV owners.  If this is so,
the Creative Archive works would probably be licensed to those who paid
for the works.  Works available under Creative Commons licenses, on the
other hand, are typically licensed to everyone.  I would not be
surprised to learn that there is some attempt to prevent those who
didn't pay from being licensed to copy, build upon, publicly perform, or
distribute the works (some kind of DRM or licensing clause).