[Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)

Andrea Glorioso sama a perchetopi.org
Dom 14 Dic 2003 14:25:23 EST

    >> Sure, they can ignore our positions no matter how loud we
    >> speak.  But for me it's important that nobody will be able to
    >> say, tomorrow, "we offered you to discuss these issues and you
    >> didn't".

    nvj> You're right. My point is that we should talk to them from
    nvj> the outside, not from the inside. (At least I can't see how
    nvj> we can join as members, when the conclusion is so clearly
    nvj> written already).

Agreed - as for joining, you have to pay a fair amount of money -
which personally I don't want to pay, even if I was interested in
joining the DMP.

    >> BTW, this has nothing to do with being the "poster boy" for
    >> Chiariglione or the DMP (which I'm not a mamber of, although I
    >> follow its mailing list).

    nvj> I didn't intend to accuse you of being his poster boy - my
    nvj> apologies if it was read that way.

I actually read it that way - but e-mail has got its shortcomings for
understanding each other.  No apologies needed.

    nvj> I meant to point out the general risk that we'd be used for
    nvj> poster boys - that's in my opinion a very real risk. ("After
    nvj> consultation with consumer groups, experts and industry
    nvj> representatives the Digital Media Project today concluded
    nvj> that....")

Well, I think it's a matter of stressing that we are NOT a part of the
DMP.

Your scenario is  quite possible, but  I'm not particularly interested
in it.  I mean, every day I see political decisions being taken with a
foggy    reference to  not-well-specified    "experts",  "analysts" or
whatever.   We can't avoid  the DMP or  any other group  refer to some
unspecified "consumer group".

What we can do is to very  vocally let the DMP know  what we think are
"fair use" and  "traditional" rights, which   quite probably are  much
more  rights  than the DRM systems  seeked  by the content industry is
able  or planned  to accomodate  for.  This way,  we will  sensibilize
people on the perils of  DRM systems as the industry  wants them to be
(by letting them  know how many of  their "fair  use" or "traditional"
rights  could be lost, some  of which I think  "common people" are not
even fully   aware  of) and, when/if  the   DMP or  any other  similar
consortium will say «after  consultation with consumer groups, experts
and industry  representatives» we will be able  to speak up: «wait, we
didn't say  *that*, we said *this*  and *this* is quite different from
*that*».

cheers,

andrea
--
Cose semplici e banali per riconciliarmi con       andrea glorioso
gli anni sprecati e dentro ci sei tu