[Cc-it] Re: [Copywhat] Re: [eucd] [NEWS] Nascita del Digital Media Project (DMP)

Andrea Glorioso sama a perchetopi.org
Gio 11 Dic 2003 04:10:53 EST

    nvj> [I have no idea of whether I can reply to all these lists -
    nvj> feel free to forward]

[I deleted bruxelles03 a l.p.o from the  Cc: since it's an "organization
only"  mailing list  not intended  for  general discussion.  To  other
mailing lists owners: please notify if you  think your mailing list is
not a suitable place for this thread]

    nvj> Chariglione (IIRC former SDMI - infamous Felten dispute) has
    nvj> already made up his mind, and I think we should rightfully
    nvj> criticize him for that.

Sure.  That's why we should talk to the DMP (which is not Leonardo
Chiariglione alone, as I already mentioned).

    nvj> The   work plan laid  out  clearly presupposes the conclusion
    nvj> that DRM is the solution, the question is  only how it can be
    nvj> "interoperable" and "acceptable to end users". As if.

Although I don't like DRM  as is being  proposed by the industry (and,
to a lesser extent, by the Digital Media Project) I'm fairly convinced
that DRM proposals  will  go on, our  ideas  notwithstanding.  I think
it's important that  the industry (and the DMP,  which is in a certain
sense  representative  of the   industry,  although  a number  of  its
positions are much  more  sensible) knows  that  the "users"  (and the
citizens) have a fairly broad concept of what constitutes a "fair use"
or "traditional" right.

Remaining silent  in this  occasion has the  only effect  that the DMP
(and the  industry representatives which are  a part of  the DMP) will
have the opportunity to say "ok, nobody told us that this and this and
this right  was important to you, so  we implemented that and that and
that usage restriction".

Sure, they can ignore our positions no matter how  loud we speak.  But
for me it's important  that nobody will  be able to say, tomorrow, "we
offered you to discuss these issues and you didn't".

BTW, this   has nothing  to   do  with  being  the  "poster   boy" for
Chiariglione or the DMP (which I'm not  a mamber of, although I follow
its mailing list).

bye,

andrea
--
Tra bufalo e locomotiva                            andrea glorioso
La differenza salta agli occhi