[Cc-ie] Basic question...

Antoin O Lachtnain antoin at eire.com
Tue Jan 20 12:37:47 EST 2004

the creative commons people are adopting what would be called in computing
land a 'stack'  or 'layer model' approach to this.

If you look at http://creativecommons.org/projects/international/ it
explains it somewhat.

There are some fundamental problems at the core of what is being done here.
The licenses are translations into local law, to ensure the CC principles
or 'deed' are enacted in as similar as possible a way in all jurisdictions.

There is a fair degree of second-guessing involved here. It's theoretically
quite tricky. It is obviously impossible to guarantee that the different
contracts will all be implemented into practice in the same way in all
countries as a result of the 'translegalisation'.

In practice, though, this is the sort of approach large companies use to
standardize their contracts for services and software licenses and the
like. It's worked for the likes of Oracle, ATT and IBM, so it will probably
be fine for this purpose too.

So to answer the questions you actually asked:

>a) Are the generic CC licences valid in Ireland?

as valid as any other licence or contract.

>b) If I choose the Irish licence what do I do if I want to restrict/open
>certain rights, as I can with the generator?

eventually (i guess) there will be a generator which takes country into
account. For the moment, you just use the standard one. The 'digital code'
will be the same anyway.

Antoin.

Antoin O Lachtnain
antoin at eire.com