[cc-education] WHY EDU ?

Heather Ford hford at csli.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 10 17:06:05 EST 2004

>> > If it ain't a commons, it shouldn't be on this website
>> > or it should be clearly delineated with a message:
>> > "This license will not put your work in a public commons"
>>
>>Isn't this for Creative Commons to decide? I know that sounds like a
>>silly question, but shouldn't they be allowed to judge for themselves
>>what is a commons and what isn't, and whether an educational commons is
>>a thing worth trying to facilitate or not?
>If it's for Creative Commons to decide, then we're back to
>my original argument about there being no process and
>about Creative Commons doing whatever it wants, no
>matter what people want.

I don't think this is what David is saying - I think he is saying that it
is for the larger community, filled with a variety of different people from
different sectors and different contexts, to decide, through use, on how
the licenses should develop - this is merely transferring the decision
about what kinds of choices people want to the commons, rather than
foregoing the license or the particular conditions of a license because
*we* think this is what people want and need. I think that the default in
this early stage should definitely be *MORE CHOICE* rather than less.

>It is clear that there are significant differences over this
>issue. It is clear that the education license, as written,
>will arouse significant opposition in the community.
>
>It's time, I think, to come up with the fish.
>
>Let's see a process for making this decision put on
>the table. A process that ensures that people with a
>stake in the issue have a bearing on the outcome. A
>process that amounts to something more than just
>'Creative Commons doing what it wants.'
>
>I think this is an important moment, not just for
>educators, but for Creative Commons. The decision
>as to whether CC belongs to the people, or is a
>private fiefdom, is made here.

I think that this is very unfair - Creative Commons is a movement about
choice - it is not about applying particular models to common use - but
rather about accommodating different ways in which people wish to share
work. Unfortunately there seem to be different views of what is democratic
here - but I feel very strongly that we need to come to some kind of
compromise - or stick with the decision of the project lead and review with
*real* statistics how things pan out in *Reality*.

Best,

Heather.