[cc-devel] How to XMP-tag an image with a CC licence?

Andrew Smith asmith16 at littlesvr.ca
Wed Mar 25 23:43:27 EDT 2015

Thanks, that helped a lot.

To answer my own questions (in case someone else is looking for the same):

* xmpRights:WebStatement has conflicting definitions. This set of wiki
pages says it should point to a work-specific URL:

https://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP#Specifying_License_Information
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/WebStatement
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Embedded_Metadata

but the following documents (including the CC chooser) say no such thing:

https://creativecommons.org/choose/
http://www.metadataworkinggroup.org/pdf/mwg_guidance.pdf
XMPSpecificationPart1.pdf

So I will assume that the wiki pages were written before or despite both
the common and specified rules and will ignore them (should fix them at
some point). I will use xmpRights:WebStatement to point to an author's
URL, not necessarily specific to the work.

* dc:rights and cc:AttributionURL will be set to the same as
xmpRights:WebStatement

* I'll set xmpRights:UsageTerms to a human-readable string though I
don't really see the point.

* Things can be both in the same and in separate <Description> elements.
And according to the XMP specification they can just as well be
attributes as elements. I shiver thinking of what it takes to write a
proper parser for this horror.

Cheers,

Andrew