[cc-devel] How to XMP-tag an image with a CC licence?

Andrew Smith asmith16 at littlesvr.ca
Tue Mar 24 16:55:00 EDT 2015

Hi everyone

We are trying to write some code that inserts correct XMP metadata into
CC-licenced images. I am having a very hard time figuring out what
exactly that means. Would appreciate some help from people who've been
working with this stuff much longer than me:

First of all, are there any sample images with confirmed valid metadata
in them? That would help a lot in trying to figure it out.

Trying to interpret this:
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP#Specifying_License_Information

My questions:

* xmpRights:WebStatement sounds to me a little unlikely to be used by
anyone. If I read it correctly it's supposed to be a different URL for
every single piece of content. Is that what it's supposed to be? If I
assume that's not realistic (and I'm definitely not providing one
myself) - what should I set it to? Missing? Empty? The url to the CC
licence same as cc:license?

* dc:rights I guess I do with this exactly the same thing as the
WebStatement in all cases?

* xmpRights:UsageTerms sounds like a human-readable and not
machine-readable text. If I don't care about human-readable licence text
embedded in my images, what should I do for this field?

* Do xmlns:xmpRights and xmlns:cc need to be in separate <Description>
elements as the example on page 18 of CC-Rel?
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/d/d6/Ccrel-1.0.pdf or can all of
these attributes go in one <Description> element?

* cc:license - Where do I get an exhaustive list of links such as
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ ? I'm assuming these are
forever, will not be deleted or moved? So I can hard-code them in
software for comparison purposes?

* cc:morePermissions and cc:attributionURL can be safely left blank if I
don't have content for those values?

Basically, in a simple use case where I know the name of the author and
the licence to use for the work - what do I set as values for the
attributes listed above?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew