[cc-devel] ccREL question

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Wed Mar 11 00:56:38 EDT 2015

On 03/09/2015 05:34 AM, Maarten Zeinstra wrote:
> What does the list suggest we do in this project? Should we adopt
> CC:License or is it better to use odrs:RightsStatement or odrl:policy?

dcterms:RightsStatement

IIRC CC stuck with license/License for PDM when that was introduced so
that the (mostly theoretical, and likely doing regexps on a page rather
than parsing RDF) consumer would not have to know about another
property/class. But arguably CC REL ought have been (or ought be still)
updated such that cc:license is a subproperty of dcterms:rights rather
than dcterms:license and cc:License a subclass of
dcterms:RightsStatement rather than dcterms:LicenseDocument.

Again IIRC dcterms:RightsStatement and LicenseDocument did not exist
until 2008. Had they existed in 2002, I guess the vocabulary CC
introduced (later branded as CC REL) would have used one of them
directly rather than introducing cc:License. Which brings us back to the
answer to your question.

Mike

p.s. I'm using dcterms: for precision and because I note the EDM
document does, though one of my super tiny pet peeves
<http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2014/02/04/one-dc/> concerns never using
DCES 1.1 for anything (all its terms are mirrored in dcterms) and thus
only/always using dc: prefix for http://purl.org/dc/terms/