[cc-devel] Metadata scraper roadmap

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Wed Feb 27 15:40:36 EST 2013

Oh come on!

That simply is not good enough.

We CC-affiliates / open activists need to be able to do our work. I raised this question because I do work for Europeana, The European version of the DPLA, but 5 years ahead. they were instrumental and the first adopter of the Public Domain Mark. Europeana works with 2600+ cultural institutions and has about 5 million works PD/CC0 marked. Now when one of those institutions mails me and asked me why there is no extra metadata on PDM pages coming of Europeana, I need to be able to say that there is possibly a script blocker on the client side and that Europeana and CreativeCommons.org are functioning properly, see this page for more information (no page or documentation to be found...). When I cannot do that I cannot do my job. When I cannot do my job I cannot convince these institutions of the merit of CC licensing or PD marking. When I cannot do that they will be less likely to use the tools. That is bad for our global access to culture. (I use myself as an example, this could happen to anyone who wants to promote CC).

We all want more open content and correct rights labelling right? I need to be able to rely on that infrastructure of CC.org to be able to do my job in this.

It is completely absurd that you cannot get your act together and provide us with a decent technological infrastructure and support to help convince the world that a) open content is a good way to go and b) rights labelling is important and c) (most importantly) we have their backs in that.

Also, where is Dan Mills in all of this? He's been on the job for like two months now right? Why is it that he hasn't even introduced himself on this list yet? I hope he consider the licenses and their backing technology as part of the product of CC..

I think it is unbelievable that you can laconically state that you wish you had better answers…