[cc-devel] GSoC proposal suggestion

Cassio Melo cassio.ufpe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:43:36 EDT 2010

I think I will apply for other project, to not be unfair with other students
that are already engaged in this project longer than me :)

As for the FF and Chrome extensions... I think adding support to the
Wordpress Media Manager is more important to CC, isn't it? Or maybe both
projects in the same application (I think it's viable and it may increase my
points)?

I would like to know your opinion about the following part of my
application:

Wordpress Media Manager Extension
===========================

1. Project planning

Delivering it as a plugin is the preferred option. However some issues have
to be considered like for example, how to deal with metadata imported from
an URL or in case of inserting the license code along with the media in the
page. A patch might be needed along with the plugin.

2. Extending Media Manager interface to support CC licensing process

This is relatively easy to accomplish using the LicenseChooser.js for
integrating license selection into the application.

3. Store license and attribution information in the WordPress database

I will investigate the appropriate handling of licensing information in the
Wordpress database and to insert the license metadata in the media (it might
require a patch for that).

Possible additional contributions (time permitting):

   - Include support for adding media from URL (fetching the license
metadata as well);
   - Create an extension for Joomla as well;

    Once installed, the license-selection extension will appear as a
fieldset right below the file information (title, caption, etc). It will
generate a the license logo and a short summary of the license chosen right
after the selection (using AJAX).

====

Too confusing? I appreciate any feedback!

Best regards,
Cassio