[cc-devel] liblicense 0.5

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Tue Jan 15 13:46:02 EST 2008

I'm happy to announce liblicense 0.5.  Summary: Now this is worth
using.

This release features a huge amount of great work by:

Contributors: Hubert Figuiere <hub at figuiere.net>
               Nathan Yergler <nathan at creativecommons.org>
               Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
               Scott Shawcroft <scott.shawcroft at gmail.com>
               Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn at gmail.com>

Most important things about this release:

* Uses SONAME versioning and provides an ABI guarantee - if you link to
liblicense.so.1 from here on out, you'll get back an ABI-compatible
library even if has code updates.

* Fixes many, many segfaults!  (It used to segfault if you asked it to
read (for example) a corrupt JPEG.)

* RDF for licenses has been dramatically cleaned up by CC CTO Nathan
Yergler.

* Adds module shutdown function.

* More flexible API - fewer helper functions, more generic functions.

* We're (fairly) careful about only exporting ll_* symbols.

* Mostly C89 compliant, particularly by not relying on variable-sized
array feature of C99.

* Support environment variables that override the plugin or license RDF
paths for flexibility in strange deployment scenarios.

You can download it from SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80503&package_id=238700&release_id=568827
.

-- Asheesh.